klox7 VIP
Total posts: 914
23 May 2014 09:25

I have following scenario.

2 types in 1 section. Section has categories (one level) which can be selected in both types.

How can I create menu item for cobalt types separately? If I choose Cobalt list I can't select type, only category.

Are prefiltered links only option here?

Last Modified: 26 May 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
23 May 2014 15:46

klox7 1 level categories ... which can be selected in both types.

Do you have 2 different types in the same categories?

Types ... Are prefiltered links only option here?

I think so. "Type" is a filter criteria. So, you would have to choose it manually in advanced search...
Or create a respective URL out of it.

klox7 VIP
26 May 2014 07:40

pepperstreet Do you have 2 different types in the same categories?

Yes, do you think it's a bad idea?

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
26 May 2014 12:13

klox7

pepperstreet Do you have 2 different types in the same categories?

Yes, do you think it's a bad idea?

Technically it should work, but it is not recommended. In general each type should go into his own category(tree). Mainly because it works best with available config parameters, filters and default list templates.

If your setup and multi-type display works for you... go with it.

It just sounded strange to me. I think you wouldn't have to create pre-filtered type listings, if you had a proper category assignment. Or the other direction: If you don´t need the category feature... why use it anyway. Then it could be a "field" as well.

(but I could be wrong, i don't know your use case, and workflow/searchflow)

klox7 VIP
26 May 2014 12:27

Well, I'm still kind of sailing towards right approach.

At the moment this is an idea:

I have 2 property types, one for resorts and one for accomodation, resort being my main type. Then I have 1 section with countries as categories. One section because I would like to display both types if somebody is searching by country (category). You can't add type2 (hotel) if you don't have type1 (resort). You can only add type2 with relation field in type1 article view. Every type has its own fields. For filter I have filter module with fields from main type (resorts) but I would also like to be able to filter results from type2 in this module (mainly text search). That's also why I have 1 section with categories for both types.

I'm testing it now but I have some issues so I will probably change my idea.