stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
11 Nov 2012 19:08

Does Emerald allows to automatically move a user to a specific usergroup when subscription expires ?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
11 Nov 2012 22:43

Alfiya will respond with exact answer.

But in fact we do not recommend to move users to other groups. There have to be really serious reason to do that. Emerald is not user ACL manager. Emerald should be considered as is sort or alternative. Emerald's plans have to be seen as user groups. When purchase and have active subscription user is in that group, when expired user is not in that group any more.

Because Emerald control access anyway. And this is also good to mode user to come special access group (emerald plan) without changing user and keep him registered in core Joomla.

I ensure you that in 99.99% of cases, when our clients try to use user group assignment it is not actually should be used.

stblink VIP
12 Nov 2012 08:52

Thanks Sergey.

I'm asking this because i would like to create a portal for users to insert their entry (it's pretty much like SOBIPRO) with Cobalt, having Emerald too to control subscriptions.

I will have 4 subscriptions (one of them is free and 3 paid).

Subscription free fields: name, e-mail, adress, phone number

Subscription bronze fields: name, e-mail, adress, phone number, gallery, video, etc

Imagine a subscription bronze expires... at that moment i want it to move the user to the free subscription plan, and i dont want the user to be able to edit NEITHER i want it to show (to the public) the paid fields on the user entry.

If Emerald has another way to control what fields to show (even if they are not empty) according to the username subscription, then yes, no need for Joomla Usergroups.

thanks

stblink VIP
12 Nov 2012 08:57

btw. You say group assignment in 99% of the cases is not needed.

So you're saying that for example, i want to show modules according to the user subscription. If Emerald would have the Joomla User Group assigment it would be easy. Just go to the module and set access to registered or whatever group i may specify and i know that it works with any module.

But If Emerald has it's own way to do this, as long as it works, it's fine by me.

Sergey
12 Nov 2012 22:58

If Emerald has another way to control what fields to show (even if they are not empty) according to the username subscription, then yes, no need for Joomla Usergroups.

Yes it does. It has Emerald restriction rules not only Submit, Edit, View but Display. Display means that field is displaied as lonk as author of the article hase chosen subscription.

i want to show modules according to the user subscription

This is the only case when you can use groups. But remember also that hiding modules in 99% is not recommended. In general it is not recommended to hide subscription content. And that make sense if you want to get more subscribers.

Modules usually shows titles of content that is protected. If you hide it new user neven know what potentially he can access on the site. But if new user see it and try to access and redirected to subscription page, then you achieve what you need. Or if you hide articles protected by subscription from the article list. New user come and see only free staff. He has not idea how many article and what about are paid. He will most likely refuse to purchase.

So, think twice if you really need to hide modules.

stblink VIP
13 Nov 2012 09:14

Hmmm i see what you mean about the modules showing restricted content. I agree with your point of view.. but here's a thought.. instead being directed to a page with no content and the error message saying the user has to purchase a subscription, you could simple call a browser error message (or popup error) so that the user doesn't need to go back to previous page.

stblink VIP
13 Nov 2012 09:29

Sorry for the double posting but not allowed to edit the previous.

Although there's another thing to consider. Imagine this cases:

1 - Free subscription see advertising modules (ie: adsense). Hidden to paid subscribers.

2 - Show a module to bronze subscribers "upgrade to gold membership, see here the features you can have". Gold membership would not have this module since he's already Gold.

I saw another post about your implementing modules by subscription on Emerald 9, it would be very usefull and if the case i will wait for it to come out.

Perhaps Metamod can be helpfull with this for the moment... will take a look at it.

Sergey
13 Nov 2012 19:42

you could simple call a browser error message (or popup error) so that the user doesn't need to go back to previous page.

That was in the past. But thousands of customers care more about user to bet to subscription page that how he get one step back. You see if you want users to subscribe you want to attract them. It is hard to do with popup. If you click and just jet JS popup like "This is only for paid customers" the user just, "A! ... OK! Not for me.". In other words it would just sound like "Excuse me, you cannot go this link, not for you.". Or other scenario. "A! ... OK! So where do pay?" Do you really want users to apply efforts to subscribe? It is just so good to land user on the page here you list your pay options may be even free plan, promote discounts and so on.

you could simple call a browser error message (or popup error) so that the user doesn't need to go back to previous page.

I saw another post about your implementing modules by subscription on Emerald 9, it would be very usefull and if the case i will wait for it to come out.

This will be based on Joomla user groups. We will ad proper move out of the group. Because ti is a complicated process. For example user by one subscription and moved to group1 then second subscription and move to group2. Then first subscription expired and we have to move out group 1 but keep group2. In addition this person already had group3.

So, there have to be reliably mechanism to move users from group to group.

1 - Free subscription see advertising modules (ie: adsense). Hidden to paid subscribers.

I think that is something like custom module. It detects user status and show accordingly.

stblink VIP
13 Nov 2012 20:12

ok i surrender :) yes a landing page with subscription table would be more attractive.

Thanks for the tip