08 Nov 2013 01:46

Hello,

I have set a type that has several fields. One of this fields is a checkbox type with certain predefined values. So far so good.

Now we need that each predefined value has its own color so that all data that have this value selected appear in that special color (background color or text color). We want to introduce a color guidance system so people can distinguish at first sight by color. Is that possible? And if yes, how? Please give us instructions.

Our details: we use Joomla 2.5 and Cobalt 7. Would it be better to upgrade to Cobalt 8? Is Cobalt 8 providing such color-to-value-function?

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
12 Nov 2013 01:38

Would it be better to upgrade to Cobalt 8?

If you have chance to update to Cobalt 8 and start your development there that would be perfect. but generally regarding this task Cobalt 7 and 8 are not different.

There are 2 things you can do.

1. Add color to values. append to every value something like ^red or ^#ff00ff. The ^ is a separator. this should color checkbox values.

2. To highlight articles with needed color you will have to edit article list or article template. You will get field value there and depending on value you will highlight article.

How to work with templates start reading here

http://docs.mintjoomla.com/en/cobalt/custom-templates-general/

16 Nov 2013 04:21

Thank you. I am hesitating upgrading Joomla 2.5 -> 3.x because I am not sure if all extensions will work furthermore. Will Cobalt automatically upgrade from 7 to 8? Will I loose all my purchases Cobald 7 plugins?

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
18 Nov 2013 06:37

You will not lose any of your purchases. If you have access now to updates, you can update free.

Cobalt update from 7 to 8 may be little bit tricky. Sometimes you will have to run some sql queries manually. You will need to update all templates to support bootstrap and resave all fields, types sections.