29 Sep 2013 07:49

Hi,

I am very happy with the way cobalt displays resized image thumbnails in records list, and how you can view a full size original image when clicking on the picture in the record.

The image (when viewing the full record) is just a resize of the original image though.

This is a problem as users on mobile phones still have to download the full image to see it on the record and photo's can be large.

I would like to set the dimensions of the image (and get a resized image) for when viewing a record - just like in the records list.

I'd like to set, say, a 'medium' size ... so that then there are small (for list), medium (for viewing record) and then of course the large original can be viewed if required.

Thanks,

D.

Last Modified: 19 Oct 2017

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
29 Sep 2013 16:58

so that then there are small (for list), medium (for viewing record) and then of course the large original can be viewed if required.

Actually, this is possible at the moment. A typical use case is 3 sizes:

1. List view (resized thumbnail)

2. Article view (resized medium)

3. Article view -> Lightbox enabled (original file)

o.k. it feels limited, if compared with "K2" multiple image versions.

On the other hand, 3 sizes might be suitable for most cases...

But I also see room for improvement in Cobalt parameter set! ;)

Example:

Currently, both lightbox options for list and article full view, load the biggest original image. Which is logical for the article full view, because it is the next bigger size.

On list view, i could imagine an optional usage of the article's resized version... because that is the next bigger version. Also saves loading and waiting time, while browsing the list!

e.g. Directory/Classifieds: Users might only have a quick closer look at the photo... they don´t want to see and load the whole details page... if the photo/product is not to their liking, they choose the next item on the list ... etc.

Idea/Conclusion:

The lightbox parameter in list view, should allow to use the original OR the article resized image.

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
30 Sep 2013 02:35

I think this all will settle with fields templates parameters. You will be able to set for the same template different sizes in different views.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
30 Sep 2013 05:15

I think this all will settle with fields templates parameters. You will be able to set for the same template different sizes in different views.

Good idea and versatile... but nobody knows about such internal and hidden things ;-)

I guess, you are talking about Cobalt-Image-Helper, which was mentioned in this related topic:

template for records module: add possibility to choose image size to use

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
01 Oct 2013 05:03

I am talking about Cobalt 9 file templates parameters feature.

02 Oct 2013 15:11

Thanks pepperstreet for your detailed explanation I will give it a try.

I hope my silly questions will help others too! ;-)

Ta.

D.

02 Oct 2013 15:32

;-)

I will, and hopefully when I get more experience I can help others out too.

Thanks again.

D.